1.08.2008

Yoga Classes for Kids in Fairfield County

Sarah Jessica Parker was on Oprah today and she got me thinking about parenthood. Go ahead, laugh! I know. Oprah and parenting wisdom from SJP, it sounds so silly, but hear me out. She pointed out that a child's world is shaped by his/her parent's mood on a day-to-day basis. This is not a ground-breaking observation, but it struck a cord with me and I began my search for a yoga class that would help me be more "ommmmmm" and less "oh $%*#!" when things get a little stressful.

But much like when I'm out shopping for clothes these days, I found several great classes for my daughter, and very little for me. I thought I'd share them here. Please let me know if you have anything to add by hitting COMMENTS below or just email me:

Next Wednesday, January 16th at 1:30 pm, the New Canaan Library is offering Yoga for 4 and 5 year olds. For details visit http://www.newcanaanlibrary.org/ or call 594-5002.

Yogabilitation in Fairfield offers childrens' classses AND mommy and me classes. For more information and schedules, visit http://www.yogabilitation.com/

Finally, if you're looking for private yoga classes for kids or adults, contact Ronnie Oster, a Stamford-based Kripalu trained instructor, at 253-4260. She'll even come to your home to host a yoga-themed birthday party for kids. I've heard wonderful things about her (click here to read more) and when I finally get my act together to sign myself up for a class, she'll be the first person I call.

(Photo above left courtesy of a wonderful book from Henry Holt Publishers entitled Little Yoga: A Toddler's First Book of Yoga by Rebecca Whitford and Martina Selway)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elements Yoga in Darien also has Mommy & Me classes, as well as classes for girls and infant massage.

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for a yoga studio for yourself, Saraswait's Yoga Joint in Norwalk (above Fat Cat Pie) is the place to go. You can check out their website at www.sarasyogajoint.com. The by far have the best teachers and vibe in the area.

meg said...

UPDATED SEPTEMBER 11 2008
PLease also read about Connec To Talk's yoga classes in Wilton at http://fairfieldcountychild.blogspot.com/2008/09/yoga-classes-for-kids-of-all-ages-now.html

Unknown said...

Mediation yoga
Yoga has been known worldwide for some years now and it has become very popular on the entire planet. Millions of people engage into it for various reasons everyday. But even though it has tremendous benefits and millions of people stand as proof to that, there are still some that do not really believe in its health benefits. But can those contradict the millions of people whom have already tried and benefited from it