2.12.2008

Luc's Cafe, Ridgefield

I'm always on the lookout for great restaurants that truly welcome kids, rather than simply tolerate them. My latest find is Luc's Cafe in Ridgefield. My husband and I visited on Saturday night and I was pleasantly surprised to see so many families there. I had been there awhile ago and loved it for it's delicious French menu, great wines, cozy ambiance and friendly service, but I never really had much reason to take note of whether kids were there. Now as a mother and seeker of child-friendly businesses to feature here, I see Luc's in a whole new light.

While it does not scream "kid's restaurant!!!!" and there is no kids' menu per se, Luc's would be a great place to go for a family dinner. You can find cheeseburgers, sandwiches, soups, bacon and eggs and other kid meals among some of their more adult offerings like escargot, spicy tuna tartare and duck confit. I spoke to the owner, Herve, (who will most likely be the one greeting you at the door) and he told me that the restaurant is named after his young son and that he loves having kids around.

Other things that made me fall in love with Luc's (in no particular order) - live jazz music every Wednesday, a great cozy bar where you can wait for a table, outdoor seating in the summer and their annual Bastille Day celebration. I hear Herve sets up a petanque court outside the restaurant every year on July 14th ... how can you not love a place like this?

Visit www.lucscaferestaurant.com/ for a glimpse at the menu. Be sure to call before visiting because I know the restaurant will be closed for a week or two in late February/early March. Hopefully Herve and his wonderful staff will be off on a well-deserved vacation!

Luc's Cafe
3 Big Shop Lane, Ridgefield
203.894.8522

No comments: