11.26.2008

Baby Goods Drive Has Begun to Support Family Centers' Young Parents Program. Thanks For Your Help!



On this Thanksgiving Eve, I'd like to take the time to thank all of you who visit FairfieldCountyChild.com regulary and help make my job running it such a joy! But one reader and friend in particular, Jessica Connolly of Stamford, stands out among all the incredible people I've met in the past year through this blog.

   
She's an amazing mother who is constantly thinking of others and I was thrilled when she approached me about spreading the word about her work with Family Centers. I know among all FCC readers, there must be a ton of new baby items that are going unused and that we'd like to donate to a worthy cause.

Jessica has taken it upon herself to organize a Baby Goods Drive for the women involved in the Family Center's Young Parents Program. The Young Parents Program supports local pregnant teens and young mothers as they transition into their roles as parents. In addition to providing prenatal/parenting education and support, YPP clinicians help young parents further their educational and vocation goals.

When I asked Jessica why this cause is so close to her heart, she told me: 

"Sitting in the hospital after having my daughter, I remember thinking how hard it must be for single mom's that give birth without an emotional or financial support system. Two months later, I read an ad placed by The Young Parents Program of Family Centers looking for volunteers. After attending an information session, I learned that they were seeking mentors to spend 1-2 hours a week with young teen mothers. Since then, I've been paired with a young mother-to-be in Stamford and am thrilled to be her sounding board for questions, thoughts and any advice that she would like. This goes not only for parenting conversations but about anything she feels like talking about.

Thinking about the "overstock" of baby goods I have accumulated and sometimes trade with other moms, a baby goods donation drive seemed like the right thing to do for these teen moms/to-be during the holiday season."

Details are below. I hope you'll support this amazing program by donating new/unused items including: 
  • Formula
  • Diapers
  • Wipes
  • Clothes
  • Bath Tubs
  • Toys
  • Bottles
  • Pacifiers
  • Sippy Cups
  • Coupons
  • Anything else you can think of that babies need!
When: Monday, December 1 thru Sunday, December 21, 2008

How to Donate: Contact Jessica Connolly at: jgugino@hotmail.com to arrange a pick up of your items OR send them directly or drop them off to Family Centers in Stamford: 

Family Centers
Attn: Andrea Payo
60 Palmer's Hill Road, Stamford, CT 06902
Phone: 203-324-3167

(photos above courtesy of Family Centers)

No comments: