3.27.2009

FREE Monthly Story Hour at the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum Starts Wednesday, April 1st


How many times have you passed that big old mansion in Norwalk, right near Stepping Stones, without a second thought?I know I have. As beautiful as it is, I never had reason to visit or pay much attention to it. 

That is, until Tuesday when a museum volunteer gave me a tour of the Lockwood Mathews Mansion Museum and filled me in on their new monthly story hour for kids, beginning next Wednesday April 1 at 10:30am.

The LMMM is a National Historic Landmark built in 1868 for financer LeGrand Lockwood. The City of Norwalk bought it in 1941 and it became a museum in 1966. It's currently undergoing an amazing conservation and restoration and it really is a sight to be seen. The details they've unveiled in the clean-up are unbelievable.


To celebrate the grand reopening, preschool aged children are invited on Wednesday, April 1 at 10:30 for a story hour followed by crafts and snacks. This month's story is Mouse Mansion, a book inspired by a real mouse family that inhabited the mansion. 

Here's a picture of the community room where the story hour is to be held. I'm looking at this photo now thinking it appears a bit creepy. That's just my poor photography skills... it's really quite beautiful and not scary at all.

And here's a shot of my daughter jumping the ropes in the conservatory.

And here is just one of the many details that blew me away. 



For more information about the museum, including info on renting the space for weddings and other events visit www.lockwoodmathewsmansion.com.

And check back here for info on future story hours on May 6 and June 3.

Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum
295 West Avenue, Norwalk
203.838.9799

No comments: