3.16.2010

Announcing FairfieldCountyChild/Kids in Crisis Partnership - Please Join Me!



I've sat down to compose this blog post, oh maybe 10 times. What's the hold up? Well, I'm finding that it's a lot easier to write about trunk shows and kid-friendly restaurants than to write about my recent tour of the Kids in Crisis facility in Cos Cob and subsequent decision to get more involved with the organization. It's an emotional topic and one that I really want to handle with respect.

Many of you may already be familiar with Kids in Crisis, but for those of you who are not, here's some background information:

For more than 30 years, the Kids in Crisis mission has been steadfast: to protect infants, children and teens from abuse, neglect and family crisis. To fulfill this mission, Kids in Crisis provides free, round-the-clock crisis intervention counseling, comprehensive temporary emergency shelter, a wide array of prevention programs in local communities and advocacy throughout Connecticut.

Since its founding in 1978, Kid sin Crisis has served more than 96,300 Fairfield County children and their families. In 2009, Kids in Crisis provided assistance to 7,300 adults and children in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Stamford, Weston, Westport and Wilton.

I recently had the opportunity to tour the temporary emergency shelter where babies and children as young as 2 days old can stay when life at home is just too difficult and stressful. I was so moved by the kind staff and lovely, homey space where kids are made to feel welcome and safe. In addition to the wonderful staff, there are so many kind people in this community who are involved with Kids in Crisis. Two come to mind. The "birthday fairy" is a local woman who donates birthday decorations, cake and all the fixings for a proper party whenever a resident's birthday rolls around. The other is a group that sews a homemade quilt for each and every child who passes through Kids in Crisis. When he or she leaves, they take the quilt home as a special gift.

While I can't match this type of generosity, I'd like to begin using this blog as a platform to share all the wonderful things Kids in Crisis does to help children in need. My hope is that some of you will join me in their efforts. I know that we, as parents, are so busy with the day-to-day of raising children and working. And I know that many of you are involved with other equally important organizations, donating your time and money to help the less fortunate. And I respect that, but I do feel like it's my responsibility and pleasure now to use this blog and its growing audience for more than just a place to find fun things to do with our kids.

So in the coming weeks, look for updates from me about the very important programs Kids in Crisis offers in the community, including:


Please visit www.kidsincrisis.org for more information and stay tuned for more information about how you can join me in my efforts to help this amazing organization. If you're also involved with Kids in Crisis, I'd love to hear from you! Please comment below and share your experiences.

No comments: